Friday, March 14, 2014

You can’t leave Bangladesh without a little….more…..adventure…right?

Ok. So night of festivities is complete…or is it? I leave Farhana and her friends and get into a motorized rickshaw to head to my hotel. I am totally happy with all the footage I got of her today and am ready to head back to Nepal to film my other student (Shambu) and to get further footage of Gopal, and then finally to the last location in India.

My view while I am trapped
 in my cage
in "demonstration square",
Dhaka, Bangladesh 
(Photo: JLewis)

Moving along…when suddenly the rickshaw motor dies. Hmm. Rickshaw driver says…I be back…5 minutes. The fun thing about Dhaka motorized rickshaws is that they are like being in a cage. In fact….THEY ARE A CAGE! And…the best bit is…the lock to your door is on the drivers part of the cage! So….when a driver says he will be back in 5….well……that’s just how it is gonna go…because…you are trapped!

Oky doky. Well….at least it is relatively comfortable in here. So…let’s see ….where are we? Hmm. It seems we have broken down in a big square of the city.  Remember how tomorrow is the start of the next strike? As it turns out…the best place to protest is …..IN THE MAJOR SQUARES OF A CITY!…All that extra elbow room and stuff. So…guess who is pouring now into this square at midnight? In prep for tomorrow? Yep…the tomorrow protestors. The ones with the cocktails.


Cocktails included (Source: Daily Star)
Side note…all the Bangladeshians I interviewed just call them cocktails…because a) no one has alcoholic cocktails here…which is a damn pity…and b) because it happens so often…why use more words than are necessary?

Ok. So this is getting interesting. I am not worried though because I am in an iron cage. Yeah…I don’t know what I mean by this either…(and see photo below)….But I really am not worried. Just incredibly entertained. I mean….how often do you get to just sit back nice and comfy and watch unrest develop?

Source: www.thehindu.com
Next come the big trucks with swat teams. I guess they are there in prep also for tomorrow. The swat teams take notice of me and tell me to move the rickshaw which is…ummmm.. sort of in the way in this square. I mean…who wants a damn rickshaw to get in the way of impending violence and destruction? Totally understand. BUT! I have a problem. Umm…I try to explain…being I am in the ….back seat…..I am rather limited in my ability to move the vehicle. They get this…thank god and somehow locate the driver and….I AM FREED! I climb out onto the embankment on the edge of the square. And the swat team starts to talk with me. It turns out they were trained in Virginia! HOW COOL! And we all start talking about what they did in the US and where I am from. It was a bit surreal. Here we are all talking about …..what fun stuff we have done near DC and all around us, future protestors and other police are setting up for tomorrows demonstration. Just like all good people …we all exchange facebook page names and they find me another rickshaw.

And thus begins part two of the last night of adventure in Bangladesh for
Rickshaw that had a worse next day than me
(Source: www.themalaymailonline.com    
Jennifer. Well, the swat team was super excited, because they think…Emphasize think…..they have found a very rare commodity. A rickshaw driver that speaks English! They are wrong. :(
 But I don’t find this until I get in….and we are off. And I also learn….to my dismay….that I have now…the absolute most insane rickshaw driver in town. Goody. First…he thinks he has a good grasp of English. Meaning…he will talk to me the entire journey.  Second….he does not seem to like watching the road. Instead…he mostly sits facing me…which …..is ….um …..opposite of the way the rickshaw is facing….and thus…seems mmmm. I dunno…..DANGEROUS! And third….he keeps repeating things that seem wayyy odd…Like ali babba. WTF is this? And then laughing hysterically. The first five minutes are kinda funny. But it all begins to wear on me pretty soon after that. It is one of those deals where you feel like you need to respond….with stuff like…oh yea…yes…gosh…hmm….really…and you have no f’ing idea wtf he is saying…you can just make out the end of sentences if there are questions and kind of where you are expected to participate. It is …..exhausting. Worse…even… is the fact….now this is my fault….the fact that….ok….now don’t judge me…..that I …..don’t know my hotels name or address. ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..WHY?!!!! You shout at me! Yep…I totally get that. I totally deserve it. Well……last night….I get into Dhaka pretty late. It is like 11 when I arrive. And my driver from the airport takes me to the hotel that a company I have hired has located for me. We get there and there are no rooms left. So another guy gets in the car and says he has another place where they is a room and he will lead the driver there. So we get to the other hotel…I crash and then have to get up again in just a few hours to start following Farhana. I leave without grabbing a business card. So….guess who has not f’ing idea where she is staying? In my defense I called the company that drove me the night before multiple times to get the name of it during the day but they did not respond. So…Now what?
And…t minus umm…maybe 5 hours till showdown. With cocktails provided.
So…I DO know where I was supposed to stay originally and with help from many people on the road I get this crazy driver to take me there. I get out, sit on the couch in the lobby and tell them they need to figure out where I am staying. Or they will get a crazy exhausted American woman who dresses like shit making all kind of commotion in their lobby. The go with door number one. Smart men. And they figure it all out!!! Hurray! I am then driven to my actual hotel. And there starts part 3.

I walk into the lobby and there is a group of older men sitting around the big table in there. They all look up and I can tell from their expressions that they are thinking “oh shit…we forgot about that damn American woman who…insists pool cannot be played without beer.” Which is GD right! And now they have to get me the F out of here…..soon.

So the oldest one says to me…ummm…. have you by chance logged into your embassy website to let them know where you are right now? (side note….this is something you are supposed to do in case…you ummmm…disappear…then maybe Americans will look for your ….body). Anyway…the fact that they bring this up is rather interesting to me….because I then recall what the tour company exec said to me this morning when I paid my bill for the hotel in Khulna and air ticket…”You know….the fact that the US says not to travel here…is really hurting our business..” I shrugged and said ehh…They all look at me with more disdain.

So what did I miss? 
(Source: economictimes.indiatimes.com
)
 
They then tell me they must figure out if they must take me now to the airport. Finally it is decided that I will leave at 5 and that will give the driver enough time to get me there and to return before the strike starts at 6. My only question…is …do the strikers adhere to the prescribed schedule of events? I mean…that would be really professional of them….if they do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment