Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Off to Calcutta!

Contact made! Moving on!

So I try again to connect with the Bihar crew and success!!! I get through on the phone and can at least learn the name of a hotel they made me a reservation at. We guess about the time of arrival and agree to meet that eve to discuss the schedule. Great!

Fly to New Delhi and then to Calcutta…where the next part of the adventure begins.

Night ride in Calcutta

So…I get a taxi at the airport in Calcutta. This journey to my hotel was AMAZING! One of scariest places I have ever seen and also the most captivating. Very hard to describe. But the night drive through this city was something I will never forget.

The streets were all very tight and windy. Just enough space for one car.
Source: www.seetheworldinmyeyes.com
Street lamps cast a foggy yellow glow. The foggy look comes from all the dust and smoke in the air. It gives the whole scape the look of a dream. The buildings architecturally all look like Spanish or French style…reminds me a lot of what the French Quarter in New Orleans looks like. If you then hang tarps over the entrances and then a thick layer of mold and dirt. Mold covers everything.

Almost no one is on the streets because it was late at night (around 1am)….The whole place resembled something I would imagine for a movie set which was totally over thought…but this was real. A place you would expect the worst demons to be found. It was incredibly intimidating to move through a place like this. Lets just say if the driver said get out and walk….I would have begun to cry immediately. And that is never my tactic when in danger. But here….yeh…I would just say fuck it and cry. Because I would realize I would never find my way out….alive. Wolves coming now. That sort of scenario. Incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment