Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Are you ready for an impromptu? No? Too bad.

During the day today we visited a large school where …I had to give a presentation. Which for me….was totally unexpected and thus…officially what they call…..impromptu…which …..I totally suck at. But the audience were 8th graders so I figured….if I can make up stuff and feed it to undergrads and get away with it…heck what can an eight grader swing at me? (that was a joke…..about making stuff up….for the most part :)).

The whole event was a total blindside (for me). I knew we would visit a school where we’d meet an NGO the dolphin people worked with previously to help educate. I THOUGHT…I would get to film kids running around (which I need bad for more b roll) and maybe get to interview the NGO folks. Nope! I get my camera all together, am ready to shoot, and they move me into a room and tell me to get on the stage! What? On STAGE? WHY? Oh…I am

Yep…I am on the wrong side of the camera. Obviously 
not filming. This was an awesome bunch of students
though. Worth loosing footage for! (Photo: Not JLewis…
but curiously…on JLewis iPhone)
the guest? On no.

So filming this event was shot. Can’t get up and shoot when I am one of the principle guests on the stage.  I keep getting into this problem here in India. Because I run a dolphin conservation organization and am a scientist, they do not consider me the film maker. Meaning I have had considerable trouble blending into the background and working… I am thought of as the guest who must shake hands and do diplomatic things. This situation has made this part of the trip the toughest in that way. I can never prepare properly to capture what I need to on film and I always wind up in the center of the action. I am certain that I must share this problem with Stephen Spielberg. Yeah…me and Stephen…never get a break…always loosing precious filming time to shake hands. I am certain we share this. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment