Sunday, June 1, 2014

It is up to the cab driver to keep me alive. Hi! I’m Jennifer and…Yeah….Please don’t let the children eat me

So in the cab…and while the driver speaks not a word of English….I KNOW that he understood the last shitty thing I said. :( And that he had no idea I apologized and explained. He just knew I said a shitty thing and then rambled on for about 5 minutes. Crazy mfing American woman from hell. Great…now do I get to die? It is totally up to him.

So…pretty soon he is wondering aimlessly. I know because I have on my
Source:mumbaimag.com
iphone navigation. I try and tell him when he is on the right path….but he either doesn’t trust me…and you know….I wouldn’t either….or he just doesn’t understand. He asks for the phone number of hotel. Well…this is a bit problematic. Not because I don’t have it…but because…and I really still don’t understand why….but…ok. I am really embarrassed to admit….but…I can’t international call people. Sometimes I figure it out…but mostly I can’t. I suck at it. There are these country codes and plus signs and sometimes a zero and sometimes not…and I don’t know …should there be 10 digits? OMG. I usually have to play with each phone number on my iphone about 20 times before I can get it to work. And usually I give up and use some locals phone. Ok. Side bar… To those of you yelling…Jennifer Get a SIM CARD!! I tried!!! But! It is not all that easy! These countries don’t just hand this shit out to foreigners. I have to hook up with a team mate each country…and they have to get the card for me in their name…and then I give them money to put on it…and I have to give it back to them. It is …outside the law let us just venture to guess. So its not like we go to the seven eleven and get a sim card. And is such a pain that many have talked me out of it! But I digress…

Ok.

So…I had a phone borrowed from a student in Bihar but had to return it when I left…and thus….I am left with my shitty iphone international calling skills. So then the driver asks for the number…and then….OMG….. He could not type the number into his phone. He got some of it…but I think the issue was either…too hard to type and drive…or same issue I have! Country codes…do we use them here…what if it is an Indian phone…vs US phone…so many possibilities…and we are just driving ….around ….and around…and then….the children!



No comments:

Post a Comment