Sunday, July 26, 2015

Kids make the best production assistants ever!

So I am working today to photograph doors throughout these little fishing villages for a fund raising project. (http://theriverdolphin.blogspot.com/2015/01/hope-in-bhaglapur.html). At first it is quiet. Just me and my guide. He
Door from Bhalgalpur, India (Photo: JLewis)
thinks I am nuts for wanting to photograph….um….doors. It is sort of like I told them, “You know what? How about we photograph each section of this here toilet paper roll today? Yeah! Trust me I say… Americans will love photographs of this!”

We are walking about…..alone at first, and then the local adults start to take interest…who also think this is insanity. “She wants to photograph….old rickety doors?” “She’s from where? Oh!! That explains it. Crazy MF American.” :) Fine. Just let me get the shots please.

We are bobbing and weaving through the little villages. It is
Best production assistants ever! (Photo: JLewis)
going great. And then the kids come. To be honest, this has a tinge of creepy, especially since this tiny height crowd just got bigger and bigger and bigger ……ending with at minimum 50.

But as the kid numbers grew, they started to work as a team. All screaming together as we walked, (https://vimeo.com/134523183) and then they would go quiet when we found a door to shoot. Every single one would then check the shot in the camera to determine if it was good enough. They were tough but good critics. :)

Eventually they began to help me pick the doors! I just explained to them what was shit in English as if I was talking to an adult set designer. It was hilarious. I would point out the flaws in each "bad door" choice. They would look at me all serious. They would take it in…..somehow…I don’t know how because I guarantee none spoke a word of English. And they would then help to edit their choices and the choices of their friends the next door we came upon. “Blue on blue again! No Good!".... "Shadow on the top! No Good!"…."Purple and red is just Gross!"…..and then….."OMG! Look at the way the wood grains show through the chipped paint. Holy Mary MOG GET THAT ONE!” :) Best little 5 year old crew ever!

The doors project is for them.

For them. (Photo: JLewis)

No comments:

Post a Comment