Sunday, February 2, 2014

Airports are still……fun

On my way to Nepalgunj
First location for this documentary will be in an area close to the Bardia National Park in the southwest part of Nepal. I have to fly into the closest town, Nepalgunj, (instead of taking scary death buses)…where a driver will pick me up and take me the rest of the way in (about 3 hours further). This location is close to the river system where my students in Nepal work (Karnali). This river system is likely the only place left in Nepal where the Ganges river dolphins can still be found.
On map you can see location of Kathmandu in relation to Nepalgunj and also the location of the Karnali river
 
Flight to Nepalgunj (Photo: JLewis)
Flight was super easy. I have read many accounts about the Kathmandu airstrip being one of the most intense on the planet. Not sure why. I mean….yes there are those mountains at the end of the runway……and yes….it was pretty neat how the pilots could bust that jet into the air by slamming the throttle and lifting the nose way up so the whole plane strained and shook as we took off. I just thought hey…..kinda cool that these big jets can actually do crack maneuvers like that….who would have thought they had it in them? 



Baggage claim or carnival auction?
In Nepalgunj. Small airport. Here is how baggage claim goes. There is a small desk about 10 by 3. The luggage is piled behind it. And everyone starts to push and scream for theirs. The weak get trampled and left behind. Yes…I was the last to get my bag. L

Most lights are off in the airport. Outside pitch dark. The head of lodge where I will stay finds me ….which is easy this time….since I am for now and hence forth….the freak in the room….and we take off in his jeep.

No comments:

Post a Comment