Saturday, February 8, 2014

Day one in rural Nepal

Back to why I am here

Ok. So while this blog is mostly from a comedic perspective, I need to explain what's actually going on, and also how the hell I am making it work. It being the creation of this …..dcoumentary. So. I have traveled to Asia to follow the work and lives of a number of people who study the Ganges river dolphin. The first person who gets to “deal” with me…..lucky him…..is Gopal. Gopal, as I mentioned before, I have been advising from afar for maybe a year to a year and half now. Gopal was the inspiration for this project. To capture his and other stories during this journey I have three main devices: a Canon Mark iii, a GoPro and an iPhone. I end up

You can see GoPro reflection in the helmet. This was useful
for many odd angle shots, like from above our heads here
on the motorcycle. (Photo: JLewis)
using all three pretty frequently depending on the situation. For interviews I use the Mark iii. And also for most other footage. The GoPro is great to use as an additional camera to capture from another angle or to get odd shots. So what the heck do I mean by odd shots? Like for example, if I want to film above us when we are traveling on the motorcycle (I can tape it to the monopod because it is tiny and light). The iphone and GoPro, because they are so small, can be brought out less conspicuously to capture footage. Like in a cab, or in a crowd. Especially when I don;t want to attract attention.

Day one filming stumbles. 1) Why is the video so shaky? Oh….did you turn on image stabilization? ….Of course………not.

What did we shoot today?

Bridge over Geruwa, Nepal (Photo: Jlewis)
Today we cross the Geruwa river which is a distributary of the Karnali (basically this means it is as if the Karnali split into two and the Geruwa is the new “twin”). The Geruwa is now possibly the last spot deep enough (at least in the dry season) to support the remaining dolphins. This bridge we cross is sort of a temporary structure and is placed low. Water is low. Lots of sedimentation (results from damming the river upstream).  Rivers in Nepal, just like all across Asia are heavily dammed. And have many ecological issues as a result (heavy sedimentation and filling in of the river being just one). I had the first interview with Gopal on the banks of this river today.

Never decline a meal! Jennifer!!! Shit!!!

At roadside villages, you can get bottled water, sometimes cokes and snacks. We stopped at a village on the way to a meeting with fishermen today and met up with a journalist who wanted to cover the event. The journalist and Gopal sat for a meal. I learned today that a common reaction to all people across the globe when you are not hungry…but people offer you food…and you say no….is that they GET pissed! Everyone starts to worry you eat too little and maybe you are starving yourself. Because….um…I dunno …that is what girls in the US do? Yeah…no…maybe one girl in the US is doing that! (Calista?) …The rest of us have plenty to eat! Plenty! Look at my ass for gods sake! That didn’t get here on wheat grass and water I can assure you! Anyway….I was told that it would go a long way for me if I would say yes and eat some fruit. And a red bull……A red bull? ……..Alright. FINE!

Gopal and a journalist eat lunch together, Nepal (Photo: JLewis)

Colors!!!! I love Colors!!!!

Color is off the chart here! (as I already mentioned). Makes for most amazing filming (to me anyway). From the clothing….to the plastic chairs. All these amazing jewel tones. All buses are decorated, just like the people and homes. With very bright colors. On the source of this golden light….. I believe this is probably from the smoke…but I have to say…it makes everything look amazing and sort of…surreal.  

I love the kids!!!

Children start approaching us pretty soon after we stop anywhere out of curiosity. They are a lot of fun to play with.  They all have the most wonderful honest laughter and smiles. Boys in general are more courageous, but little girls approach us also. They usually situate themselves so they can watch what I film through the back of my camera screen. Most get that they need to stay behind me and be quiet without us having to say anything. They wait to ask questions or play with us until we cut.


Kids are the most fun when filming. Fishing village, Nepal (Photo: JLewis)


No comments:

Post a Comment