Saturday, February 15, 2014

Avoiding road bombs

Ok so today I must head back to the airport. We have decided that car is best as long as we go at night. I make sure the lodge owner knows I am don’t want him to take this risk….if it is a ….risk…. for him…..We leave at 4:00am.

We are the ONLY car on the road. There are many police. This is a good sign. They look for bombs. We do find them scanning a field. Hmm.

Military patrols streets scanning for bombs (November 2013)

We get to the airport fine. I have already paid for this ride, but I go ahead and give the lodge owner all the money I have left in my wallet (about 150 US). I think this is nothing.  I feel really bad that he took a major risk to drive me here. And….he now has to stay in town all day until dark falls again…bc it will not be safe to travel again until then. God. We live such….privileged lives in the Western world.

On a lighter note: So I start to talk about tigers again as I am about to depart.

Final words from the lodge owner Oh the ones in Nepal are not man eaters. It's the ones in the Sundarbans of Bangladesh that are. He did not know where I was heading next. But I did. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment