Sunday, February 9, 2014

Off to see the village!

Some Educational Outreach at Location One Nepal
One of the important things Gopal has realized is that to be able to save this species, the people living along these rivers must be included. This includes particularly the fishermen. For this reason Gopal makes a point to engage with these folks by going to them to talk about the current situation, involving them in the discussion to ask for their help. Today’s fishing village Gopal will visit is Manau Prasena. This is in the SW area of Nepal, not very far from the border with India. There are no real signs of a village per se. It is essentially an area of fields and homes. 

"Instant seminar!" Gopal provides information to a local fishing village about fishing methods that will be less harmful to the dolphin (Nepal, Photo: JLewis)
Someone hangs a tarp next to a house to serve as a roof for Gopal’s presentation. Sheets are draped along the edges to block the sun. A table is set up and we have power to run the computer and projector. Gopal has a white sheet he hangs to use as a screen. What else do you need! Amazing! Instant power point next to a rice field!
 

Many villagers and fishermen show up. Probably about 50 people. Of all ages and sexes. Children, mothers fathers, grandmothers, grandfathers. They all sit on the ground and are incredibly patient and attentive (especially given it is fairly hot outside and many are sitting in the sun). Gopal gives a talk, he then gets some of the audience members to talk about their own experiences. The aim is to get a discussion going and to get feedback from them. So they add to the solution by providing their own opinions and experience.

Filming at that location is not tough, with the exception of the sky. Sky is my trouble….everywhere. Why? Sky is…bright…..and everything else is not. Here….there is a lot of sky. And it takes me forever each time to set the camera to get the sky to “be good”.

Example of "bad sky" :) (Photo:……ok. yeah..it was me….JLewis)

Gopal prepares to interpret for me for our next interview (Photo: JLewis)
Following this we go to another village and interview two fishermen under a tree where there are benches. Fisherman number one is super nervous. I learn quickly that I need to either train Gopal to select specific personality types for these, or for me to also help select. The other issue is because I don’t speak the language, I can’t really determine what the interviewee answered, quickly anyway, so it is tough to guide them. I also worry I miss some of what they said in response, because Gopal could forget part of what they answered. I decided at the end of this journey, for film two (yes….already planning next)…I am going to learn the language as much as possible prior to departure. So…who wants to practice Hindi with me? :)

Kids are still super fun!
Just had to share some other photos from today. I am five inside….and I always want to play. So I am totally game when the other actual five year olds show up. :) 

OMG!!! The most amazing faces!!! LOVE!!! (Photo: JLewis)
Strike is a coming
So…everyone this eve is whispering about the upcoming strike. We have now decided that to get me to the airport….I have to fly back to Kathmandu in a few more days….there is gonna be a slight issue.

Problem is….my flight leaves after the strike has begun. And….well…in a nut shell…. This is how a strike works….So…someone calls strike…Start date…start time. After the clock starts to run…no more motorized vehicles are allowed to travel on the roads. Planes are fine. But no automobiles on the roads. How do they keep everyone in line with this? Well…placement of random bombs on random roads. So…if you drive…Boom! Yeh yeh…don’t freak….I am only into adventure accidents.

So……How will I get to the airport…which is 3 hours by car? We decide that motorcycles can avoid bombs pretty much….and especially if they travel at night. Because ……bombers like to sleep. Good for them! I totally support that! This…it turns out…is more like a rule across Asia. Everyone likes a little rest. So…my only wonder is… how hard it will be to hold on to my luggage on the motorbike. And How many advil’s would that require? And…I wonder if I can find beer after I make it out and survive?

No comments:

Post a Comment